New Analysis Discredits Data Found in NGO “Unsafe” Toy Reports
November 22, 2016,
NEW YORK – The Toy Industry Association (TIA) is warning consumers to be wary of misleading reports circulated by non-governmental organizations (NGOs) regarding allegedly harmful toys.
The TIA conducted a thorough analysis of U.S. Public Interest Research Group’s (PIRG) 2015 “Trouble in Toyland” report and W.A.T.C.H’s 2015 “10 Worst Toys” list. The analysis revealed that the data provided by these groups is unreliable and consistently fails to support their allegations that the listed toys present any danger to children at play.
The TIA released the following information in its report:
- None of the toys that PIRG and W.A.T.C.H. named in their reports have been recalled by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the federal agency charged with overseeing toy safety, as a result of their allegations.
- W.A.T.C.H. does not test any of the toys it claims are unsafe. Their allegations are based on pure conjecture and opinion.
- PIRG also failed to use proper toy testing methods. Only one out of the 23 products named in PIRG’s report was properly tested by the group for safety.
- Toy safety and protecting children at play is the top priority of the toy industry. TIA welcomes independent monitoring and analysis by outside parties – as long as these activities are carried out in a responsible manner. Unfortunately, groups like PIRG and W.A.T.C.H. do nothing to advance toy safety and are not serving the interests and well-being of children and their families.
- TIA was a vigorous supporter of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, the federal consumer product safety legislation adopted in 2008, and works year-round with medical experts, consumer groups and government regulators to ensure the safety of children and maintain U.S. toy safety standards, which are among the strictest in the world. The Association educates toymakers on how to meet these standards and provides consumers with accurate facts about toy safety.
The TIA’s www.PlaySafe.org features toy safety facts, recall information and tips for safe play.
Related Content By Author
Age of Millennials: Eco-Friendly Machines
Gifts & Dec Direct
AmericasMart ICON Honorees
Excellence and superior achievement in the home and gift industry were recognized in July at AmericasMart's eighth annual ICON Honors. Enjoy these video stories celebrating the 2017 award recipients: Spicher and Company, Bloomingville, Wolf Gourmet, Her Majesty's English Tea Room, Kurt S. Adler, Inc., and Chris Rosse, Rosse and Associates.