CPSC, Health Canada, to Align Toy Safety Requirements
Playthings Staff -- Gifts and Dec, 12/13/2012 10:52:39 AM
WASHINGTON - The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Health Canada (HC) confirmed plans to align toy safety standards through both agencies' participation on the ASTM F15.22 Subcommittee on Toy Safety, according to the Toy Industry Association (TIA).
The subcommittee regularly reviews and updates the ASTM F963 Toy Safety Standard, which plays a significant role in helping to determine the mandatory toy safety regulations and requirements enforced in both the U.S. and Canada. The goal of the collaborative effort, according to the CPSC, is to "maximize the potential for aligned positions...as the ASTM standard is revised, thus increasing the likelihood of not only aligned approaches in the two jurisdictions, but also increased safety benefits for consumers."
The Toy Industry Association (TIA) and the Canadian Toy Association (CTA) have long encouraged the agencies to work towards standards harmonization and believe that the commitment to cooperate represents another step towards standards alignment between the U.S. and Canada and both countries' commitment to improving toy safety, according to the TIA.
"We commend the CPSC and their counterparts at Health Canada for taking these additional positive steps to collaborate specifically on toy standards alignment through the existing ASTM International consensus process and the ASTM F963 toy safety standard," said Joan Lawrence, vice president standards and government affairs at the TIA and chair of the ASTM subcommittee on toy safety.
No related articles for this topic.
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...